Sunday, July 27, 2008

MTV reality shows.



Being a 12th standard student had it’s own disadvantages[What were the advantages?!]. 
Anyway so, the disadvantage was that the Tata sky subscription was not refilled, the purpose being ‘I’m in 12Th and CET etc.’ As if I had time to watch the T.V. with so many classes and journal completions! 
Being deprived of the idiot box, I was really excited when I went to my cousin’s place. Surfing through the channels, I came across MTV. 
After having degraded itself, with the ‘Roadies’ series, which went falling to new lows with each season, the channel has started a new Reality show, ‘SplitsVille’. I wasn't thrilled but just wanted to check out the show. Biggest mistake. The basic concept of the show is that some beautiful gals [read ‘stupid’] and 2 guys[read 'idiots'] come together and then two of these girls go out with the 2 guys and then vote out the ugliest gal. I don’t remember the details but this is the lowest possible depth MTV could fall to. Period. The channel has created the show just to cash in the TRPs. 


Is this what they think the Indian youth aims for? And that may be the case soon considering the amount of Indian youth glued to these channels. No media Sensibility, Channels like MTV have the power to change the mentality of the youth. They can create a better generation for the future India . I know that MTV is a channel associated with youth, Glamour, vogue, fun etc. But what they should realize is that 70-80% of the Indian youth does not relate with these stupid shows. They have to sail in different education streams and achieve their success.Our’s is a developing country and there is absolutely no need to ape the western countries in the concepts to be broadcasted on television. 
Today’s youth should be aware that there’s more to life than riding bikes and showing off your Dad’s money. They can make shows in which Simple yet significant things are made to look cooler [Pity that we need to do that!:( ]. At least that would have a positive impact on the gullible minds. 
How many times has MTV actually voiced social issues which are plaguing the country at present?Apart from some stars mincing their words saying, education is this and education is that. . .that doesn’t really make a difference, it really doesn’t! 


My idea: They can amalgamate glamour with some cerebral stuff like Global warming, fighting against the deep rooted corruption in the country, Getting rid of procrastination, Reaching out to their long term goals, Being earnest and aware of the various issues, Sticking to the ethics, Keeping one’s head on the shoulder during crisis etc, etc. . .which can actually help the viewer than just increasing the TRPs of the channel! It’s not that I’m not against MTV, but they have the magic wand to make important value-based things ‘hot and happening’ than bombarding the minds with glamour, fashion, riding bikes and being anorexic! 


Sorry, if I’m going overboard but I couldn’t stop voicing my overflowing concern! I just wish that MTV throws some light on important issues.[I don’t need to mention what the important issues are, there are so many! Duh!]rather than promoting stupid flirting, stripping shows whose contestants have no more knowledge than a 5Th grader! 
I realized that if I keep on watching the show, the TRP’s will increase and the channel will continue broadcasting such crappy stuff. So for the betterment of Humanity, I switched off the T.V. hoping that next time I get back, it would have changed for better. . .

9 comments:

retrokid said...

well what can u expect from a channel that's there for fun :D
for teaching nice things, watch ramayan :)
jokes apart, i think, if u write such a heartfelt letter to the channel, then they might try something new...

The Happy Human Jellyfish said...

Hey!! Yea.. Totally agree..
This year roadies was bad enough.. Then i saw splitsvilla and i went WTF?!?!?!?!
I mean I was shocked @ the way Mtv was promoting this show which trashed females like this!! :O
Bad. .Bad .BAD.....!!

The Happy Human Jellyfish said...

HEYY!!!!!!!!!!!

You're back!!


Write a new post, honey. :)

So I can comment about how much I agree with you! ;) ;)

Haahahahhahaa.. Welcome. Don't disappear again. Thanks for following my blog! :)

The Happy Human Jellyfish said...

unable to comment on ur latest post. WHY?

Aishwarya said...

I have no idea :(
Try doing it now...I just checked all the comment moderation stuff..no idea what went wrong! :(

The Happy Human Jellyfish said...

STILL ain't working.

Did you alter the comment section?

try going to

settings>comments>Comment Form Placement

select "full page"

See if that works

Aishwarya said...

Done!
I never altered that option though.
I'll publish the post again?

Rijuta said...

right dude.. thats why, dont watch tv. :-)

Aishwarya said...

Yea. I don't watch those shows. I watch Tom and Jerry. ;)